Sunday, August 24, 2008

Overtuure - Never ending problems

Been an engineer for so many year, I am led to believe that we are here not just to fix problems, but to also create problems (so that we can then fix).  If there is a quiet period of time when there is no problems to tackle, it itches. 

Lately I killed my Sony Vaio (that I never quite understood how I did it), so bad that, I think the motherboard is gone.  Buying a new 24" iMac as the consequence of it made this rather a celebrative accident than sorrowful, but the engineer part of me took out the 2 hard drives from Vaio and put in my OTHER box, which is a fc6 Linux.  I had a PCI raid card in it from a coupla years ago, so I can have up to a total of 6 (P)ATA HDDs.  Well, now I have 4.  The fc6 finds the PCI card, but NOT the 2 foreign HDDs.  FC6 is kind of old, and every customization I ever tried to have, I had change a lot of things, and many times rebuild the kernel.  So finally I got fed up with it, and decided to load Ubuntu (better forum support) 8.04.  

OK, this is gonna make me busy for the next few months, I am pretty sure.  Since I did that two sleepless nights ago, I have already experienced quite a few problems.  I never used to do this, but age finally put me to where, I believe some documentation might save time.  Now I got myself a fresh start (newly loaded Ubuntu, well, sort of), I will log the problems I experience.

No comments: